Two previous meetings had taken place between officials and members of both clubs to work out the format for the new senior club.
The first officers of CLG Cuchulainn elected on that day were, president, Rev. Fr Patrick McCabe, CC, Cross; Chairman, Matthew Glennon; Vice Chairman, Jude Daly; Secretary, Brian O’Byrne; Assistant Secretary, Tom Smith; Joint Treasurers, Patrick J. Farrelly and Paddy Fox;
Reps to County committee: Sean Cahill, Brian O’Byrne, Kevin O’Connell, Pat Farrelly; Delegates to Co. Convention: Paddy Carolan & Raymond Carolan. Team Manager: Paddy Carolan.
Committee - Brendan Clarke, Paddy Smith, Michael Murray, P. Smith, B. Cahill, T. Doughty, Paul Smith, Kevin Connell, Seamus Reilly.
Our Club is now over 40 years of age. Over this time there have been many developments in the club including the changes in fortune of our adult teams, the development of Scor, camogie in the club, ladies football, our underage section and nursery, plus pitch development.
- Adult Football
- Ladies Football
- Underage Section
- Club Nursery
- Club Pitches
- Before Cuchulainns
While CLG Cuchulainn in over 40 years young the tradition of gaelic games in our parish is much older. There is documented evidence that football was played in Mullagh parish as early as Famine times. The poet Bernard Nulty, or McNulty as he was called in the USA, wrote a letter to The Anglo Celt in 1888 recalling that he himself has been summoned and fined many times for playing football on Sunday, before he emigrated about 1849.
By 1886 football clubs were being formed in the county. Ballyconnell was the first club in Ulster & Cavan, Bailieboro was the second and the third club was Mullagh Breffnians, formed either in late 1886 or early 1887. The second club in the parish, Cross Independents was formed in 1887.